November 29, 2014

Something warm for breakfast...

With Winter just around the corner I long for warmth, especially when it comes to eating. My belly prefers a warm breakfast during cold seasons. My current favourite: Porridge. And here's how I'm cooking it...

You need:
1/4 C porridge oats
1/4 C rolled whole oats
1/2 C almond milk
1 C water
1 pinch of salt

Depending on how much time you have to prepare breakfast you can either make this porridge right in the morning or the evening before.

If you would like to cook it right in the morning...
- combine oats, milk and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- let simmer for 10 minutes while stirring, after 8:30-9 minutes, add the pinch of salt
- set aside and let sit there for another 5 minutes before serving

If you would like to cook the porridge the evening before...
- combine oats, milk and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil
- let simmer for 3 minutes while stirring, add a pinch of salt after about 1:30-2 minutes
- set aside and let sit there until the next morning (don't forget to put the lid on)
- simply reheat in the microwave the next morning (you might need to add a bit water)

You can either eat the plain porridge as it is or you can add some toppings. I love to add a bit of maple syrup plus chopped nuts. Self-made apple sauce also tastes great.


Have a great weekend, everyone!

Yours
Uta

2 comments:

  1. Hi Uta, we have porridge every morning all year! I find it soothing and easy to eat and stops me being hungry until lunchtime. I have honey or jam on mine. Chris has golden syrup. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment, Maggie!
      I tried porridge with honey yesterday morning and today I combined it with jam. Great suggestions, so simple but yet so yummie!
      I have yet to try golden syrup. Unfortunately it seems like I ran out of it so I put it on my shopping list...

      Delete

PLESE NOTE that a blog administrator must actively publish comments before they show up!